CV of John Yoo
John Yoo, MBA
Fairfax, VA 22031 • O: 703-323-5690 • M: 703-618-6756 • email@example.com
VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY OF INTEGRATIVE MEDICINE Fairfax, VA
Private, non-profit postsecondary institution providing graduate degrees in the field of Integrative Medicine, specializing in the training of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine practitioners.
Chief Executive Officer 10/2015 to Present
- Began tenure as the institution’s Chief Executive Officer in April of 2019; previously served as the institution’s Chief Operating Officer.
- Serves as the institution’s chief financial, administrative, business and operating officer, leading all phases of VUIM’s financial, business development, and strategic planning initiatives.
- Ensures that the Virginia University of Integrative Medicine’s financial, capital, and operational resources are deployed with integrity and are aligned with the institution’s goals.
- Drives the development of financial and operational policies and procedures that integrate space, fiscal, and human resource considerations to advance VUIM’s instructional and public service missions including clinical care.
- Created a customer service culture within the operational functions of the University, ensuring the internal “customers” (such as the CEO and Academic Dean) and external customers/stakeholders (such as the student body and faculty) view the administrative office’s services as responsive and value-added.
- Initiated the development of collaborative partnership opportunities with Georgetown University, George Washington Center for Integrative Medicine, and Sibley Memorial Hospital – a member of Johns Hopkins Medicine
Day to Day Responsibilities
- Working effectively as part of a senior leadership team characterized by trust, open communication, and shared goals
- Optimizing enterprise performance on multiple dimensions including mission, values, and finances.
- Driving strategic resource planning and budgeting, operations, and risk management.
- Recruiting, motivating, developing, and retaining a high-performance workforce.
- Building diversity and instilling values related to equity and inclusion.
- Setting the tone at the top for institutional integrity, transparency, and openness.
- Building a customer service culture.
- Working successfully with multiple constituencies and within layered governance structures
- Developing effective communication processes and building relationships at all levels of an organization. Engaging faculty, staff and students in discussions of all important collegiate issues and assuring a positive, high-quality working environment
- Convening strategic intellectual discussions about future academic directions of departments, centers, programs and the college itself
- Advocating for the college, especially by joining the university-wide processes in strategic planning, budget, facilities planning and political action, to position the college favorably in the university’s broader planning
- Playing a key oversight role in accreditation, program review and other processes that are important for continuous improvement of the college’s activities
- Hiring highly effective chairs, directors, staff and others who are direct reports, doing their performance evaluations, and assuring their accountability for high-level performance in areas appropriate to their positions.
- Assuring coordination of all components of the college: departments, academic programs (including masters, doctorate, and clinical training), economic development activities, public service of the institution
Board of Trustees – VUIM 06/2010 to Present
- Currently, Ex-Officio Member as the institution’s CEO; previously served as the Secretary of the Board of Trustees.
- Invited onto the Board of Trustees to consult on marketing the school’s postgraduate educational program as well as its clinic-based service business. Initially focused on programmatic growth measures meant to produce year over year progression in student enrollment and revenue generated from the campus clinic.
- Led the inception and management of the program’s first Digital Media initiatives, including website design; social media marketing; online advertising; incorporation of internet-based college management system.
- Negotiated the University’s first campus renovation plan to update the institution’s physical space.
- Conceptualized a local and online marketing campaign for the University’s clinical services including then-upstart Groupon’s largest single deal volume and revenue figures for an Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine offer.
- Productized Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine services into consumer-friendly, specialized services based on frequently requested focus points which included:
- Cosmetic Acupuncture, Diet and Weight Loss Acupuncture, Sports Medicine and Injury Acupuncture, Arthritic Acupuncture, and Fertility Acupuncture.
- Guided the program’s recruitment of its senior leadership positions.
- Worked closely with the President to set agenda items for quarterly and special meetings of the Board of Trustees, finalizing the draft of meeting minutes, and planning long-term program objectives.
- Designated Subject Matter Expert on Accreditation Processes for the Board of Trustees
ARCA SOLUTIONS INC. Annandale, VA
A software engineering and design firm that services digital media companies through proprietary web and mobile application products. The firm also provides custom application development and technology consulting services.
Director of Business Development 10/2009 to 10/2015
Re-engineered the objectives of the global sales and marketing divisions, implementing new marketing processes and sales distribution channels to accelerate the company’s transition into a mobile technology focused product and services firm.
- Successfully negotiated transition of company’s product development roadmap from a desktop computer-based product design doctrine to a mobile device-friendly concentration to meet the changing needs of the market.
- Led recruitment and training of global sales and marketing teams, implementing an enhanced training program encompassing product, industry, sales process, and sales best practice training; increased team close rate by 46%.
- Formulated and launched the Partner Program for Arca Solutions’s flagship product, eDirectory, increasing the product’s value proposition to the reseller market. Program generated the largest new business project of 2014.
- Strategized and founded Arca Solutions’s Account Management program, developed to operate out of the Manila, Philippines field office.
- Improved accuracy of performance analysis and reporting operations through the implementation of a new system of sales and marketing metrics. Data collected based on key reference points identified an increase in the accuracy of monthly revenue projections by 15%.
Manager – Mobile Products and Business Development
Pioneered conceptualization, strategy, and launch of a new product division offering mobile application software used to successfully transition resource publications into a content delivery format native to smartphone and mobile devices.
- Managed 5 member cross functional team of engineers, a designer, and a marketer, through the full product lifecycle from design and development to quality assurance, user acceptance testing, and launch.
- Fueled 20% YOY sales increases of mobile products and services through strategic evangelization.
- Achieved 95% service quality and client satisfaction rating for the new product line by implementing major improvements to client engagement and post-launch consulting. This achievement was a company first for a new product.
- Conducted initial market research, customer needs assessment, and competitor analysis to determine pricing strategy and post-sale support services. Performed post-launch analysis and overall reporting to senior management.
Senior Account Executive / Account Executive
Progressed from Account Executive to Senior Account Executive role due to superior performance in new business development and product / service representation.
- Negotiated contracts with prospective customers while maintaining a company-leading sales pipeline that consistently averaged 200% – 300% greater than targeted sales goals.
- Worked collaboratively with product development team to provide detailed user feedback. Cultivated productive relationships with clients, resolved account issues, and ensured high levels of satisfaction with products and services.
- Continuously ranked as the top performer across entire global sales team, generating 33% of corporate sales revenues in 2011 and closing some of the largest sales negotiations, company-wide.
- Created a formalized client proposal development process, including composition and design of standardized documentation and presentation techniques. The process led to the successful acquisition and retention of major accounts such as Thompson Reuters, Condé Nast, American Legal Media, and the Environmental Protection Agency.
KAPLAN INC. San Francisco, CA
K-9 focused subsidiary of Kaplan that created innovative software enabling an integrated online / offline tutoring model featuring computer adaptive online instruction, real time parent reporting, and automated teacher lesson plans.
Center Director 12/2007 to 02/2009
- P&L responsibility for a regional $400,000 / year tutoring center for Pre – & Early High School Students.
- Accountable for managing the professional development of three full time managers and 12 part time staff members.
- Performed quality assurance and beta testing for Score’s first online / offline computer adaptive tutoring software.
CDP PLAS CO, LTD Seoul, South Korea
Business Development Analyst 9/2005 – 6/2007
- Spearheaded United States expansion for a South Korea based geosynthetic and industrial fabric manufacturer.
- Expanded Eastern United States sales portfolio to eleven medium-sized distribution clients.
COLUMBIA BUSINESS SCHOOL New York, NY
- Master of Business Administration May 2017
UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA Charlottesville, VA
- Bachelor of Arts in Foreign Affairs May 2005
SKILLS AND INTERESTS
- Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM)
- Commissioner; Chair, Distance Education Committee
- Council of Colleges of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (CCAOM)
- Chair, Marketing Committee; Chair, Legislative Committee
- Former member of the Executive Committee
- American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers
- Product Management: Self-taught HTML, Database, and User Interface concepts
- Korean Language Fluency